You would think that after spending 2 years going in and out of doctors offices, that a new appointment wouldn't be that stressful. But that couldn't be any farther from the truth. I am a nervous nellie about our appointment today.
Normally we just have appointments with our CF team to check Rylee over and make sure she is doing well. These aren't ever too stressful until we have to wait for her throat culture to come back. Then we are always very nervous about what she is growing inside her little 2 year old body. We also worry about her weight during these visits and if her lungs sound good and clear or not.
Today's visit is a little different. Let's backtrack to right before Halloween. Rylee was experiencing so major allergy symptoms. Runny nose, congestion, coughing...all brought on after a trip to our local pumpkin patch which just happens to be located in the middle of a soybean field. The last trip out there, they were combining the field and dust was flying. We quick picked our pumpkins and went on our merry way only to wake up that night to a stuffy congested coughing little girl. We had a routine appointment with our CF team and we all concurred that this was probably allergies......until we looked in her ears. Full blown double ear infection. This is the first ear infection in over a year - She had only had 2 ear infections in her 2 years of life. So on antibiotics we went - Bactrim for 10 days.
Fastforward to the end of the 10 days - right before Halloween. We were happy and all cleared up. We trick or treated, played and all was well - until 2 weeks later. She again woke up with a snotty, stuffy, congested cough and we thought man, I figured these allergies were gone. We waited a few days, giving her a chance to clear this on her own. Nope, down it traveled to her chest. We had a little weezing, lots of coughing, and lots of mucous (TMI I know) So back to the doctor for what we thought was a chest cold. One look in the ears and guess what - Full blown Double Ear Infection. So back on antibiotics...AGAIN...UGH UGH UGH - This time, Augementin for 10 days.
One more fastforward to right before thanksgiving. We were all clear again and went on our merry way. We ate lots of yummy food, played, shopped, we were good to go. Until 10 days ago. We woke up to a whiny crying stuffed up, snotty, congested, little 2 year old. I immediately told my husband - It's another ear infection. We propped her up on some pillows and laid with her all night. Of course this was a Saturday night - So we had to take her to urgent care on Sunday. I told the doctor her symptoms and that I thought it was an ear infection. She didn't believe a word I said until she looked in that little ear of hers - FULL BLOWN DOUBLE EAR INFECTION. - 10 Days of OMNICEF.....10 days later - still stuffy, still congested - so I called our CF Team again and they extended her OMNICEF for 10 more days.
In the mean time, We saw a ENT at our local clinic - He immediately wanted to do Tubes, and take out her tonsils and adenoids. The next day. I wanted a second opinion just to verify. Also, the CF clinic where Rylee is seen likes procedures done in their hospital in case of any issues that may arise (totally understandable). So today we are off to the ENT for our second opinion. I am nervous that they too will want to take her large tonsils and adenoids out. I know this is a fairly common surgery, however anytime a little one has to be put under for a procedure it is nerve racking.
Hopefully they can help us find an answer to these ear infections and if it means surgery - it means surgery and we will do anything to stop this cycle of antibiotics that we have needed in the last 3 months.